How can we get to a world in which every human being is safe: fed, clothed, sheltered, educated and cared for so that every person can contribute the most fully to Humanity?
per Covey: starting with The Eventual End Goals of The Four Freedoms Movement (allowing each person to contribute fully):
(With 40-60 years of steps in between…)
1. Each child, at birth, receives half a hectare of land, non-alienable. The person may rent, lend or swap the land, but always remains the owner of the land or the swapped parcel. Where ever the location, it should have a well and be arable. (This way, at a minimum, every person on the planet will own at least 1/2hectare of land, free and clear, with no way to lose it…)
2. Beans, Rice, local Greens, and enough fresh drinking/cooking water, and fresh or filtered salt water for bathing for every individual person;
3. Free Bedsit or Tiny House for each individual person, accessible from the time a child can safely (independently) cook an egg;
4. Each family should have a book in the local public library, containing the autobiography of every adult in the family (which means that each person needs free time and the means to write his or her autobiography).
5. Each ADULT is both:
- trained to serve in the national protection forces (police or military), and
- prepared to rotate, if called upon, into a limited time term of either Jury Duty, city, state, or federal level government duty as a local/state or federal Representative or Senator, Governor, or cabinet member. A system of sortition could gradually replace elections for the House of Representatives and state assembly lower chambers, followed by the upper chambers and executive level elected positions via IRV/Ranked Choice Voting, as the national educational system evens up in quality across the country.
Getting there from … some point in the future:
Phase III: The Three Universals:
Free access to all levels of
1.) universal higher or trade-craft education,
2.) universal basic income, which the use of local currencies may help with,
3.) and full universal health care, for every person, are the three key parts of Phase III, which comes after:
Phase II, which is: taking the Adulthood Challenge
- Each person, as a child, must learn to swim (or at least float).
- Each child must learn emotional/psychological self-defense and physical self-defense to the greatest extent possible, in a Gandhian context, as well as financial self-defense.
(1 and 2 are part of the pre-Adulthood pre-requisite criteria:)
- Then, each child may decide to remain a Pre-Adult, having all basic human needs met, but being barred from undertaking Phase IV adult roles, such as serving in protective or governmental positions.
- After passing prerequisites 1 and 2, and deciding to test for Adulthood, any Pre-Adult may choose to attempt The Adulthood Challenge, of teaching some person a needed and difficult skill, such as speaking a language from 0 words, or teaching someone to read, beginning with the alphabet. A task, in other words, that ordinarily averages 2-3 years in the classroom setting.
Phase II is about both a new rite of passage into a new form of adulthood, and also about forming a culture in which “each one teach one” is taken seriously as a duty to humankind.
The current stage is Phase I:
Action Items in support of literacy and inclusivity that you can take right now:
1.) Download two differently sourced documents about sortition,
2.) Read a page,
3.) Share your thoughts on that page,
4.) Write a novel that imagines a safer and kinder world than we have now, and tells a good story, that might make a difference. I’m working on that through my historical fantasy #WiP, #WhoByFireIWill. Once published, donate one or more copies to your local public library, as I intend to do.
Let’s #EndPoverty, #EndHomelessness, & #EndMoneyBail and support these four key parts of our #PublicDomainInfrastructure & #StopSmoking for CCOVID-19:
2. #ProBono legal aid and Education,
3. #UniversalHealthCare, and
4. good #publictransport
Read, Write, Ranked Choice Voting and Housing for ALL!!!!, Walk !
September, 12020 HE